If you are used to the Internet Explorer, you should give Firefox a try. Not only is it a lot more compliant to the standards of the W3C than the IE, it’s got a lot of other advantages that make it the only real choice for you as a blogger.
What makes Firefox stand out?
- Tabbed browsing - Once you’ve used it for some time, you will never want to work without it again.
- Integrated search - Without installing any toolbars you have a search field. For which engine? That’s your choice.
- Session Restore - Ever had you computer crash and you had several pages open, most of which you hadn’t bookmarked yet? Simply open your Firefox and it’ll ask you, whether you want to continue where you left of or start a new session with an empty browser.
- Highly customizable - Through chrome.css, about:config and theme support, you can customize appearance and behavior of your Firefox to a great extent.
- png alpha bending - If your using IE < 7.0, I apologize for the screwed up transparency your browser is showing you.
There are a lot of Add-Ons for Firefox, that will be a great support on your blogger’s journey. These are just my favorites. I’m sure you will discover others while you browse around.
- SearchStatus - Shows Google PR, Alexa Rank and Compete Rank of the site your looking at. It has some other features as well, but is especially useful because with it installed, visitors to your site get counted by Alexa, without the need to use the Alexa toolbar (which is only available for the IE).
- Screen Grab! - A great, really easy to use tool to take screenshots.
- Firebug - A great help for web development.
- ColorZilla - A nice colorpicker (amongst other things).
- Adsense Notifier - Do you use Adsense? This Add-On gives you a constantly updated status report in your browser’s status bar. No need to check the site.
- Better GReader - If you use the Google Reader, this provides some very useful tweaks.
- Snap Links - Got a list with links you want to open? Draw a rectangle around it, and Snap Links opens every link in a new tab. (Alternatively you can use Mouse Gestures. Thanks to TheMightyBlad for the tip)
- The StumbleUpon Toolbar - The toolbar for my favorite social media site.
These are just a few reasons to switch to Firefox. I’m sure I could have come up with a lot more, but since I’ve been using it for a long time now, I don’t know the newest IE. But if it peaked your interest, browse around, and I’m sure you’ll find even more reasons. I like my Firefox, and so does a vast majority of the bloggers I know.
Popularity: 21% [?]Tags: blogging, browser, firefox, Plugins